Wednesday, June 3, 2009

My Child is Learning Faith

I had to quickly write this story down before I forget any of the details. Today Thais had to have a little time-out in her room, and while in her room she locked her door from the inside. I went to the door to tell her that she could come out, and she told be that she couldn't get the door unlocked. I sat there and coached her for a while, but apparently these locks are much trickier than the ones at home, and she couldn't get it unlocked. I spent 5 or 10 minutes searching the apartment and there wasn't anything I could use to get the door open. Finally I went to the door (Thais was bawling at this point) and put my fingers under the door and said, "Thais if we are going to get the door open we are going to have to say a prayer!" She said okay, and we held hands on opposite sides of the door and said a prayer together. After we were done, I told Thais I knew she could do it. She tried turning it once and said, "mama, it's not working!" I told her it would work because we said a prayer! Finally, she tried again, and the door opened right up. We prayed again and Thais said, "Heavenly Father thank you I can open the door and I can do it!" Stories like this make my heart happy because that is exactly how faith is built. I have learned that God is in the tiny details of our lives, even when we just need to open a door.

12 comments:

Draper's said...

You are a great mom!! What a great way to teach your Thais about prayer! I am super glad the door open and she was able to get out.

lacy lee said...

Awww, that story made me cry and I'm not even pregnant! That's when you know something's touching!

The 5 Nelsons said...

What a sweet story! I think sometimes watching our children's faith grow and hearing their sincere prayers is the best thing for our faith too.

Brian and Janette said...

Amen to Jen! Watching or nurturing a child's faith helps mine to grow faster than anything else I know! She is learning faith because YOU are teaching and showing her faith...you are just awesome!

Joseph and Tiffany said...

What a great story! You are such a good mom.

Emily said...

That made me cry! What a sweet story. You will be so glad you recorded that. You are such a great mom, Danielle.

Christina said...

You are such a sweet Mommy Danielle! I love hearing your stories with Thais. She is a sweetheart.

Erin said...

That story made my heart happy too! What a great example you are... to your children and to the rest of us!

Nicole said...

SO precious!

Stephanie said...

What a great lesson on faith! Thanks for sharing it!

Mom Marilynn said...

I cried when I heard this story because it reminded me of when her Daddy was only TWO YEARS OLD and we both left the house to take Marianne and Ben to school and when we got home, we were locked out of the house. So, terrified, after searching for any possible way to get in, I let baby Jordan go through the dog door into the locked house, uncertain if he would be locked in and I locked out for an extended period of time. We had the same prayer together, talking through the dog door about how to unlock the door, with the same miracle! Heavenly Father blesses mother's and babies with miracles to keep them safe! No question!!!!

Rachel said...

That is such a sweet story. I love those moments with my kids. Thais is such a sweetheart!