Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Overcoming An Addiction


My dear friend Jenn has been a HUGE example to me (for so many reasons) but lately I've been inspired by her new resolve to stop drinking coffee. As I've watched her try and kick this habit I've recognized how amazingly hard it is to overcome something that is physically and emotionally addictive. Jenn fondly refers to her coffee as "comfort in a cup" and that is why I am so in awe of her because I know this has been a very difficult process. I started evaluating myself and realized that I have never taken on the challenge of overcoming an addiction. I want to know what it's like to give up something that is REALLY hard and I couldn't think of a better thing than dessert. For those who know me best, know that I am a bit passionate when it comes to food, but more than that, I am seriously addicted to sugar. Each day (especially around 8:00pm) I am a girl on a mission to find anything that will satisfy my craving. Yesterday (I am ashamed to admit) it was half a bag of chocolate chips. When I don't get something sweet each day I feel like I am going to go crazy and the few (very few) times I have tried to limit my sugar intake I get moody and slightly depressed. So, i've made a decision..I am going to overcome my addiction to sugar.
HERE IS MY COMMITMENT: I am giving up all desserts for nine months-That is until Thanksgiving, November 27 2008. This includes no cookies, cereal with sugar, cake, candy, chocolate, brownies, ice cream, soda etc. I am not going to refrain from all items containing sugar (for example mint gum or bbq sauce) I am specifically trying to get over my addiction to desserts and foods containing a lot of sugar.
THIS IS NOT A DIET: I want to clarify that this is not to lose weight or a new dieting scheme..this really is my desire to prove to myself that my will is stronger than my physical cravings. As Jordan's mom always said to them growing up, "I am the boss of my body, my body is not the boss of me!" The goal is not to never eat dessert again (I personally don't want to give up something that I consider one of life's great enjoyments) I just want to be a lot more balanced about how much sugar I eat and again, prove to myself that I can overcome an addiction.

Jenn I love you! Thank you for inspiring me to want to be better!
I will post blogs periodically and let you all know how I'm doing.

9 comments:

Cherise said...

WOW! Big commitment! More power to ya!! You CAN DO IT!

Unknown said...

What about David and Kim's YUMMY wedding cake they are getting? You don't want to miss out on that!

Sarah said...

Good Luck Danielle! I'm cutting out Diet Soda and its killing me but I also know its a good decision. Will you e-mail me any wedding pics you have? Thanks for the post we love the pic of Craig in my cape :)

lacy lee said...

So, does this mean no cookies tomorrow at book club?? :) I'm proud of you, D. I can never "sort of" cut back on anything. The only thing that works for me/inspires me is extreme measures! Hence, to help your cause, I'll eat all the cookies tonight...

NewBini said...

Perhaps 1 cheat day a month...
I have to say I admire the commitment. (I have to be honest I thought about it for..a nano second as I ate my mint 3 Musketeers) Just so you are not alone in this adventure, being a true friend I will join you. I pledge I will give up lima beans for 9 months.

Mindi said...

Well, good luck with that one, don't envy you! I also cannot do without chocolate and sugar. But...more recently I've noticed myself on webcam with my family and I have this "bulge" in the front from having a baby still...and I think, Holy crap, he's 7 1/2 months old, why is that still there? So I snack on celery and cucumbers when I'm getting a hanckering! (It's not working)...but I will keep trying!

Erin said...

You go girl. That is a great goal. Reminds me of a professor I once had that stood in one spot for like 8 hours straight, just to let his body know that HE was in control. But then again, 9 months is a lot longer than 8 hours. Let me know how this goes for you!

Mom Marilynn said...

wow, that was inspiring! I am so glad that when I am dead my grand children and great grandchildren will still be reciting that good ole saying. Too bad the doing is so much harder than the saying!! However, you've inspired me. I'm trying it until Mexico. Your length of time was too daunting! I like the one cheat day a month idea! After all, we do get to take the Sacrament and start over every week so there is a good time precedent there! Marilynn

Bingy's blog said...

Hey good luck! I have been off diet coke and chocolate for the same reasons.(1month!) I figured I'd start with the two things I am most ashamed of, then we'll move on from there! Best of luck, it sounds like you have lots of support!
hugs,
Inger